YouTube Premium is Google’s new paid all-encompassing ad-free service. (The free version of YouTube, with ads, will live on.)
YouTube Premium costs $11.99 a month and includes ad-free video, the option to continue playing videos or music “in the background” (meaning the audio will continue if you minimize the app), music and video downloads, and access to YouTube original movies and TV shows. It also includes YouTube Music Premium, which alone costs $9.99 per month.
If you’re looking to pay for one of these, YouTube Premium is the best bet since it offers the most bang for your buck.
YouTube Music Premium
YouTube Music Premium is included in YouTube Premium but can also be purchased as a stand-alone product for $9.99 a month.
It includes music playlists, music videos, remixes and live versions of songs. Subscribers to Google’s Spotify competitor, Google Play Music, get this as part of that subscription. Google Play Music costs $9.99 a month, so your best bet is to just subscribe to that and then you get YouTube Music Premium included.
Again, unless you’re focused purely on music, you might as well pay the extra $2 a month to get YouTube Premium.
Since there are so many brands and services now under the YouTube banner, here’s a handy guide to help you tell them apart:
- YouTube Premium: The site’s primary paid subscription service.
- YouTube Music: A separate music streaming service with its own app that allows you to listen to music for free. It’s Google’s competitor to Spotify and Apple Music.
- YouTube Music Premium: The subscription ($9.99) version of YouTube Music. Unlike the free version, it allows background play, offline downloads, and higher bitrate audio in the Music app. You can also get this as part of your YouTube Premium subscription. It currently includes access to Google Play Music, but it will soon fully replace that.
- YouTube TV: A live TV service similar to Hulu that allows you to watch live TV and record cloud-based DVR.
- YouTube Kids: An app designed primarily for kids, that contains only age-appropriate content. The features of YouTube Premium also apply to this.
The Benefits of Premium
If you’re thinking of subscribing to YouTube Premium, it does have a host of features to consider. Here’s a list of the service’s current benefits:
- Ad-free viewing: You can view everything on the site without any ads. You also get ad-free viewing on any platform you sign in to with your Google account, including the web, smartphones, Roku, or any other streaming devices.
- YouTube originals: You get access to original content, primarily from high-profile creators, along with some tv shows, documentaries, and movies.
- Background play: If you’re on mobile, the audio from the video you’re viewing will continue to play even if you’re outside the app or your phone display is closed. On Android, you can also view videos picture-in-picture while you use other apps on your phone.
- Download videos: You can download videos or playlists to watch offline on your smartphone or tablet.
- YouTube Music Premium: You get access to this service and all the features that come with it, as well.
YouTube Premium Plans In India YouTube Premium subscription is available in two prepaid options – a monthly plan priced at Rs. 199 and a quarterly plan priced at Rs. 399. For now, there is no annual plan for subscribers who choose YouTube Premium subscription in the country. Plan Name Monthly Subscription Cost With Number Of Screens Quarterly Subscription Cost With Number Of Screens YouTube Premium Rs. 139 (1 Screen) Rs. 399 (1 Screen)